Of Feasts and Famine

7/26/2010

Graditude Day 6: Cheap food

Stats show that the average household now spends much less on food now than they did 30 years ago (as a percentage). Even as a somewhat low wage earner, I can enjoy olive oil from Italy and tea from China. I can also use my money to support local and ethically raised food without breaking my budget.

Some of the low prices of food do in fact have higher costs, through inhumane treatment of animal, government subsidies and intense mono-cropping. However, some of these advances are simply better methods and better manufacturing. As a consumer, I can make the choice which food policies to support with my wallet. I used to belong to a CSA, now I do a lot of shopping at the farmer's market, allowing me to spend my food dollars for healthy, more ethical food. And I still spend less money than many people who stop at costco. Fancy that

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home